Saturday, March 31, 2007

Safe from retrenchment (for now)



Good news yesterday during the meeting. It seems that our department is not affected by the recent changes in the company. Status quo as the department head said. So looks like all the rumours, gossip and speculation running around has no basis after all. It was a good series of meetings yesterday that left every body feeling good. Of course, there are a lot of changes already happening in our department as part of the global changes to improve efficiency which started about 2-3 years ago.

I feel better now with a sense of relief for the medium term. But the announcement 4-5 months ago has motivated me to learn new things like blogging, attending all sorts of seminars and completing my communication course. I have also updated my resume and looked at the want ads to know what is out there. So it was a good exercise for me as well and I think I have to keep doing this exercises to keep me ready.

I was not able to speak during the question and answer sessions and kept my opinions bottled up. It is something I should work on because I often have good questions to ask a day after. The regional boss kept talking about the success we did in India a year ago where I was directly involved being stationed there for 4 months. So it was a direct acknowledgment of our efforts and I felt uneasy. Again it was not about me but our department's attention to emerging markets like India. I think I should have spoken out about improving the delivery model for emerging markets like India. This interesting thought only came to me this morning.

I felt paranoid again and shy during the question and answer session again. I alwys feel awkward during public meetings. So improving my social intelligence is an area I have to look at. I post an old mind map I did in 2003 about cognitive theraphy which will also help me correct my wrong thinking patterns.

No comments: