Monday, March 19, 2007

Taking the Bait

So many things to do today. I am attending a series of training this week until next. I am working on another project and I cannot seem to devote the appropriate attention it deserves. But it is progressing because I have good people working with me. It is this other work I do with the boss man that keeps me occupied. I wanted to do some writing during the weekend but I sabotaged my time by borrowing a lot of films. So I spent most of my free time watching movies when I should have been focusing on my personal project of writing a book.

According to some self-help book, this is the way the mind distracts oneself by escaping from the task at hand. I read recently that it is due to the way the left and right brain handle a task. Writing means a long lone endeavor, which the right brain cannot seem to focus on. It prefers to do tasks that can be done right away in one sitting. At least, that is one explanation I have read in another self help book. So the trick is to focus on other tasks if the right brain is agitated enough to try to sabotage one’s work. For instance, on pre-writing routines like organizing and setting up the plot, etc. I admit it is an interesting theory worth a shot.

I am participating in a speech contest on Wednesday. I have the speech all ready and I am memorizing it so I can do it without reading. It is my final project before I get a certificate. I wonder why I have been chosen though I have been doing these types of speaking intuitively at work as demanded. But now is the first time that I am able to develop these skills properly in a methodical way. A good way to spend my time after work and does not take much as only once a month meetings.

I was thinking over the weekend about the comments made by the boss man. I think I will speak to him and say that I like to work for him. At least express my desire to help in the coming big project to replace their systems. I will know if I read his signals right. If I am accepted, it will be a move a way from my natural work in computers. It will be more administrative and operational for most of the time. But it will offer more stability though less travel unlike in the past. I think I will jump at this chance. Let’s see what happens.

No comments: