Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Challenges ahead

Yesterday I attended a meeting with the Accounting team regarding the major change on functional currency. We estimated together the budget and resources that are needed to undertake the change. This is the ‘nightmare’ scenario where modifications are needed while the ‘dream’ scenario would be to replace the old application with a new ERP. Unfortunately, It may look like we may proceed with the ‘nightmare’ scenario. But the accounting head gave an interesting and simple solution that may make our jobs easier. We will look into this option when the decision is made. The fact that we are studying this option vindicated my earlier proposal to the boss man to study the extent and risk of internal changes. He severely criticized me and called me ‘dangerous dreamer’. Maybe he is eating his words now.

I have to meet the other managers to continue the consultation and communication with the boss man’s team. This is more a public relations exercise to keep his managers informed and abreast of the developments in our work. I think it will be good sign that we are engaged. Things are looking up in our work with them. Yesterday I also met with the security head and we will be fleshing out the disaster recovery plan for the S team. So it looks like we will be able to deliver the impression that we are dedicated and focused on the boss man’s company. Major challenges this year is the major accounting change and the S project.

I also heard yesterday that the India office is planning to upgrade their system. I worked in the India office for 4 months when they moved to their present system. The current proposal is to upgrade their system to the latest version. I think my rival will request me to help the India team work on this project. I enjoyed my stay in New Delhi and I have a few friends in the office. But I cannot help feeling that like last year, whenever I am starting to get successful with the S project, people tend to assign me to India. I cannot help but feel that my old boss is up to his tricks again. He was the person who first assigned me to the India project 2 years ago. I also felt the same thing when he assigned me over there, which is to dampen my earlier success with the boss man.

If this is the case, it will not be as easy as before. This project was not planned last year during the capacity planning exercise. So it is a new and sudden project. I will not agree to leave my work with the S team until I finish the major projects despite my affection to India and the team in New Delhi. There are a few problems in the horizon in the development team and I need to focus on this area. This concerns the turnover of staff and the implementation of the new process. This transformation has to be handled delicately as well as looking for another outsource company to help the internal team.

No comments: