Thursday, March 29, 2007

Being a sport agent

This week is supposed to be significant based on the rumor mill. This is the week where the significant news will come out especially with the arrival of our global head plus the meeting with our regional bosses. But somehow it is turning out into a non-event. I don’t feel any anxiety on any impending news. In fact, people now expect the news to be good. My friend KG is also in good spirits nowadays when in the past he is always the harbinger of bad news or rumors. Things seem to be improving for the better.

My other project is soon going to go live. I had a problem the past few days when I submitted the actual man-days used so far in the subject. It was wrong and my immediate supervisor spotted the problem right away. I picked up the figure from the application that tracks our timesheet all over the company. I was able to get the correct figures which was much lower than before but the business team still thinks it’s high. But I cannot do anything because it’s seems that the figures this time are correct after confirming with the development team.

I went to boss man’s office yesterday and chatted with Philip and the other staff. I also spoke with the critical boss. Philip issued an email yesterday that potentially could have gone out of control. But I was able to diffuse the issue despite the inclusion of the critical boss. The bottom line is that these guys need attention and I should apportion some time everyday to talk or write to them. So the issue then is time management and I should set aside a portion to the boss man’s company and staff.

The business project manager of my other project is getting concerned. I have known him for nearly 10 or so years having worked together many times in the past. I think he is not too critical of the way I handle the project because he knows me and we both worked on successful projects in the past. I really have to focus on the developer working on this project. The team leads in the development side play an important role and like the rest of the people I need to put some attention to them as well. I am reminded of the movie ‘Jerry Maguire’ and I seem to play the role of the sports agent working with a lot of stars with big egos.

No comments: