Saturday, March 17, 2007

Victory for the Moment

The meeting went well with the boss man. He was in expansive and generous moods though with some skirmishes with his usual flashes of brutality. But I survived and enjoyed the meeting. He listened and approved my ideas, which was a good triumph for the other people who were present in the meeting that I think are attacking me behind my back. The thing about the meeting was that it was the first time I felt I was managing something. Hilariously I felt that I was a real manager, not the idealistic grasping of some one who aspires to be one, but a grizzled veteran who has experienced a few trials. It was a refreshing and world-weary feeling if ever that was possible.

I felt in that instant that I was no longer the technical person trying to be the best there is by knowing all the little technical secrets. In this environment with the customer, I will never beat Philippe who has been there for many years. I cannot compete as well with the technical team who are the developers in my home country. So my value and contribution, I realized was in managing this process. It was in fact leading the team to the desired destination. It was something that I have been doing unconsciously and without confidence. Now I realized that it was my role that I have to play. I know that it is also due to all the training that I have been receiving in the past months regarding the so-called re-organization of our department.

It was a realization I had when I saw that the development team and the customer were talking directly. I felt that I was by-passed and that I needed to insert myself into the process. I wanted them to stop and bring my authority into the fray but I luckily pulled myself back and allowed them to continue. I knew that our present success is due to their empowerment and I should get out of the way and let them proceed on their own. But I realized they were proceeding based on my plan. It was a plan I proposed last December, which is now bearing fruit. So it was a plan that met some resistance at the customer’s end and which is now an accepted practice. Now I am extending the changes with a new process, which I have to lead. So the key word here is leadership.

Some affirmation exercises with negative blurts:


1. I am a good project manager. (Blurts: no you are not. You are confused and lazy and do know what to do.

2. I am a proactive manager. (Blurts: you are reactive and a control freak. You really lack talent.)

3. I am a good group leader. (Blurts: you are a domineering dictator who wants things done his way.)


Some affirmation exercises with positive blurts:

1. I am a good project manager. My team appreciates the input, leadership and direction I bring.

2. I am a proactive manager. I empower and adapt positively to the situation.

3. I am a good group leader. I provide good, clear and sensible directions.

No comments: