Thursday, April 12, 2007

Ready for the battle

I woke early today to download a software for the boss man. It concerns a request from the one of his critical managers. The download is blocked in the office so need to do it at home. I tend to do more work for the office during my free time at home. Maybe a sign that I am getting more responsible. It's just that we promised to deliver this request at the end of the month and nothings seems t be moving so need to step in. I like to be actively engaged in the day to day running of things though I often step back and let the experts do their work.

The meeting with the boss man will start in a few hours at 9am. I spoke with his manager who were invited by Philip. Seems that none of them are keen to attend because they are quite busy. It is good that I meet with almost all of them yesterday to review the presentation I will show in case they attend. It is more effective to join their managers meeting instead of them joining the our meeting. I guess Philip is grandstanding again following some advise from his local mafia (snake + rival + former supervisor + other local people with their agenda).

I don't feel nervous or anxious unlike before because I have done my home work. Besides the boss man has a meeting at 10 am so it will be short. I think that he wants to get it done with. I have sent him the minutes of my meeting with his managers and I think he already appreciates this work. I think they are very sensible and protective of their time so meeting them very briefly yesterday was good and showed me that they value their working time. The bottom line is that they would like to avoid meeting with the boss man himself as his mood may turn ugly.

The turning point for this year with the boss man is the S project which will tied to my variable pay. I get nothing if I don't deliver. I spoke with the princess on the project and she seems to be over our stressful exchange before the Easter holiday. So I sent her the materials from the managers and she did not panic. We get to have more conversation on this project and I need to give them some time especially with her key staff leaving in a few days. I guess it is back to the basics of project management again. This is the key point that Philip misses which is to give attention to the details instead of sending out emails.

No comments: