Friday, April 6, 2007

Day's clashes


I was in a lot of unpleasant episodes yesterday. I did not arrive for an early morning meeting with the boss man. I did not think her secretary would inform him of the early morning appointment. I saw him in the elevator when I arrived and he joked about waking up late. But I was able to meet him again late in the morning and I updated him with the feedback I got from meeting his managers. I explained that I wanted to meet him after talking to the final manager that I have not met with yet and I only had this meeting with the quality team in that morning. So I tried to recover from this minor faux paus by writing the minutes and sending them out to all managers before the end of the day with a copy to him.

The quality team focused on the S project and I tried my best to explain the delays, which had to do with the boss man as well. I admit that I had some fault myself and I did not grasp it properly as it is in an area where I have only few experiences. I think this will be the deciding factor in my performance with the boss man this year. The other difficult episode yesterday was when I spoke the supervisor who is helping me in this project. I tired to explain the concerns but she became defensive and emotional in my view. She is a good worker but she is still immature and and tends to take things personally. This will be one of the major areas of personal disagreement in the coming months.

Today is a holiday and I get to relax and to take stock. I have not been swimming lately. My work will now be scrutinized more closely and I have to step up the mark. Yesterday there was a problem on the booking of expenses for work done for the boss man’s company. Some misunderstanding with the customer support manager in the head office and I could not reach him as he may be on holiday. So I talked with our second in command head of the department who raised this issue. A good guy actually. I explained to him the situation and he was pleasant and we will need to work on it next week when we get to the office after the holidays.

No comments: