Saturday, April 7, 2007

Conflict with the princess


I had a particularly stressful session with the princess supervisor. I use that name because she has this attitude that she is the best around. She is quite hardworking and good at her job but her attitude of being the best blinds her on her mistakes and prevents her from moving forward. She is actually a good friend of mine and I have worked with a lot of projects with her and have helped her in a past project which was in trouble. She has also helped me in my projects as well.

But I guess her recent challenges have prevented her from seeing the correct perspective. Admittedly she is still very young and it's part of her age that she is still emotional, reactive and a bit immature from my perspective. So I have to try to find a formula to help her even though she thinks I am not helping her. At the end of the day, she and her team will be the main actors in the S project. Her main problem is that her key people are leaving her team and we are faced with scant resources.

I think I have the same problem with the boss man and the princess. Both are highly intelligent with strong views. So it is a question of trying to communicate properly the ideas that I feel strongly about and to persuade and lead them to the direction I want them to. For the princess supervisor, there are larger political issues at work with involves the old outfit. I think the snake is working with her as well to try to move the work away from the old outfit into his outsource partner in India. The princess supervisor has also a strong group of friends particularly my immediate boss so I have to tread carefully.

I think the main source of conflict is to determine how the project should advance. I have asked my own team at the old outfit to help the princess staff due to the their turnover. But the princess supervisor may think it's a power grab. So I have to seek some allies with the boss man and perhaps the new customer head who has replaced the snake in his job. The bottom line is to get the project back on track and complete the deliverable as planned.

No comments: