Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Writer's Psychology

It seems that successful writers have a well-integrated personality. From the book, 'Standing At The Water's Edge', the writer should have a well-adjusted psychological framework that includes healthy relationship with other people. The important supportive relationships include the following types:

- mirror relationship
- hero relationship
- twin relationship

Each of these relationship support the creative task of artists. These significant relationships allow the artist to immerse themselves into creative acts. In fact these environment takes care of the psychological needs of the artist. This aspect is important and will supposedly help resolve blocks, procrastination and delays. It is as important aspect as the person's skills as a writer or other such artistic ability.

It's a deep and insightful book from an author who is a therapist and a PhD on this subject. So I guess she knows what she is talking about. In fact, she also shares the challenges she faces as a writer when writing the book I am reading. So looking at the lessons I have learned so far are:

- writer's techniques such as planning and organizing
- using tools like the snowflake method and new novelist
- using tools like mind mapping and spread sheets
- understanding the psychological needs of creative people
- applying relationship guidelines to support creative immersions

These are all aspects I have never thought about but learning at a fast rate these days. New knowledge settles slowly and I am glad that I am understanding these aspects now. I don't know when I can start applying these lessons. But I realize that I really don't give myself time to work as a writer despite my so-called priority. Last night I borrowed 4 movies, 1 music CD and 3 audio books. I took advantage of the current library promotion to double the normal borrowing limit during the school holidays. All these audio visual materials I have to return in 2 weeks. So my weekends and free time will be busy.

So these distractions are the real problem. I cannot seem to control my mind to focus. I downloaded an article on this subject a few weeks back but had no chance to read it. From a brief look, I think it's related to age caused by the onslaught of today's technology - tv, internet, etc. I think the article provides some tips to solve these problems. So after learning all these new tools and techniques I am back to square one -> the mind's tendency to distraction. Perhaps I should practice meditation more to control my mind. Maybe yoga is the answer! Something I can try on the weekend as well!

No comments: