Sunday, November 23, 2008

Strange Days

John Lennon composed an elegant song I think called 'Strange Days.' It reflects the feeling I have these days. News are filled with dark tidings: about recession, bankruptcies, economic slumps and factory closures. Yesterday I went to a party for my golfing buddy's young son. I met my old office mates and a few talked about the economic situation. One mentioned that the German company she works for will close 80 plants all over the world. Also an IMF economist mentioned that the worse is still to come. Strangely I don't feel the sense of collapse in my situation.

Of course, I am still working but the sense of doom has not permeated my company. In my dark moments, I feel that it may affect my chances for the overseas transfer. But I also think that the situation is overblown. I just read an article about Citigroup a few moments ago. The stock price has tumbled to about USD $3. But in fact the article says that the bank has billions in cash, a stable business and enough capital to tide them over any huge losses. But it was the market sentiment that is affecting the stock price. In other words, the stock price does not reflect the reality.

So theory is turned on it's head. If the stock market does not reflect the underlying value of the company, what does? It's like the right sense is fighting against the side of illusion that is buttressed by old theories that used to be relevant long ago. Now the whole game has changed. Strangely I feel optimistic and think that things will work out fine. I have great faith in the ability of the USA to resolve global problems. Now that the leadership has passed to a person who is himself a unique and strange and uplifting individual. Perhaps his unique or strange make up is the answer to today's great and unusual problems.

Last night my cousin came to the house with his young son. We drank brandy and talked about life. We watched a photo show of our reunions back home. It was great to be reminiscing about the past happy times with relatives. Both our dads have resolved their problems and are now talking together. I hope that it will turn out right. It's great to have these moments when people from back home visit. I am afraid that we won't have these moment again if ever we move to my new assignment. But I guess I will be seeing my brother there if we do move. Life is all about movements and adaptations.

No comments: