Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Preparing the Future

I have been reading books about the 'future' since news came out a few years back that our jobs will be outsourced. So I have been reading a few authors like Thomas Friedman, Alvin Toffler, Daniel Pink and Marcus Buckingham. There seems to be a thread of thought running through these books. It's like the 'future' is clear for them and that steps can be taken to prepare oneself for it. I am not sure if I am ready but the reality if losing your job is enough to depress into in action.

I think the argument is clear and Daniel Pink was best able to explain the path forward. Thomas Friedman and Alvin Toffler showed us the reasons why the changes have occurred. Now how to prepare for it is bet explained by Daniel Pink and Marcus Buckingham. So with the prospect of losing my job in the medium term gives me some sudden panic and I have been reading all these books to keep me prepared. But I can't help but be fretful of the future. Reading the book 'Free-Agent Nation' is another good book but it seems that the environment that is conducive to adapting is in the USA.

So I am gorging myself on all sorts of books especially audio book CDs that help me absorb new knowledge anywhere. So it is quite as speed ride driven by panic and ceaseless anxiety. The trip to Thailand was a welcome respite being back in the provincial air of Saraburi. We move the application to production and we dare that the project is live. But the main resource person on the planning process has just resigned and we hope the new team will be able to step up appropriately. I have also been informed that I am being proposed to be transferred to USA and I am not sure this will push through. So many changes are coming which I feel that I should not be unprepared.

The career guide provide by Pink maybe useful in these new world. So I am guided by his advise. The steps are:

1. There is no plan.
2. Think strengths, not weaknesses
3. It's not about you.
4. Persistence trumps talent.
5. Make excellent mistakes.
6. Leave an imprint.

These are interesting advise which also jives with the insight from Marcus Buckingham - which is to build on one's strengths. So these are the guidance I can rely on and I feel that I am stepping into the unknown. I am not sure if it is the correct path or I am being driven by naivete. I am also listening to the audio book 'The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt' and provides an inspiring example in these times of confusion and anxiety. It is always an American example that lead the way.

No comments: