Tuesday, October 28, 2008

UnPrepared Novelist

I realized that I am an ill prepared novelist. Naive is the better word, thinking that I would be an accomplished writer by just reading books and writing in my journal. Last weekend I discovered a treasure trove of web sites on writing and realized how much I have missed. I have been busy 'reading' and getting on with my life that I seriously did not prepare myself for the writing vocation. Now I am discovering that there are a lot more things to learn about writing than just reading and writing. What a joke!

It started with the mind mapping blog entry on using mind maps to help structure a novel. It was a good suggestion which I have been doing in my attempts at a novel. But clearly it's not enough. It's a great tool but like a hammer, one should have the basic carpentry skills plus the knowledge of building a chair or a house which will make the use of the hammer worthwhile, productive and efficient. I know how to use mind maps and other tools like new novelist but not enough. I guess these tools help in the planning and organizing phase. Not really in the writing phase but in the significant area of plotting and characterization and other such techniques.

So I discovered this whole new world of writing techniques which I had not placed much attention to. I am now devouring books on writing, reading writer's blogs and even think about joining a writing course. I never realize how stupid and naive I have been. Of course, I have been busy with my life, doing projects, travelling and exploring the world. I guess this is the time where I have started to seriously look into the writer's vocation than anytime in the past. My past strategy on writing a book has been to 'wing it' plus a prayer or two plus a feeling of being lucky, that I will be blessed by some divine muse to help me complete my tasks. How wrong have I been!

But I am still driven and pursuing this quest and still continue my reading and meager writing and discovering all these new techniques has actually allowed me to realize my mistakes and identify the areas where I could improve. I guess it has allowed me to grow more and during the time where I actually need it. Reading the blogs and looking at the Nanowrimo site and viewing the videos have also been helpful by being with kindred spirits. The mass of would be writers struggling to complete a novel and be a writer. I realized that I am not alone which I knew but these discovery has allowed me to put a face and a voice and understand the reality of writing.

Last night I watched the video of 'The Last Lecture.' It's very inspiring and motivating. I would like to see the other videos on 'Time Management'. The message is clear and one should not waste time. The professor is only a few years older than me and I realize how much he has achieved. I looked at my work and realized that I have not planned and organized my novel at all. It's a mess and the reading I have had these days have motivated me and I think to the proper direction.

No comments: