Thursday, September 6, 2007

New Project

I am now working on a new project. It will be deployed in Thailand, China and Japan. The company is now following strictly a project management methodology with the whole works (SDLC, PLC,etc.). So the onus is on documentation. So I spend a lot of time making documentation and planning. It is a really a pain but no choice as the project will not proceed to the next milestone. Aside from this work, we also have to use new tools that monitor request and log our time sheets. We have been using these tools since the start of the year.

All these have made our work more organized and standardized within the structured methodology. But it has also increased our workload and added some confusion. I am often bewildered with all these new tools where we have to do complex budgeting and re-forecasting projects every month. But I guess that is the price of progress. One has to always adapt and follow the times to be relevant. All these with new projects coming along and with the old ones cropping up with all sorts of problems. I really can't wait for the weekend which I spend by roller-blading, swimming and watching movies. I really appreciate the nearby park where I get to bike in the evenings before coming home or skating in early Saturday morning.

Tomorrow I will be meeting the boss man and the other colleagues in our usual monthly meeting. As usual, I expect some finger pointing and bashing each other sessions again. But I am not worried or maybe I am just fatalistic. This is one of the projects where things did not go well as planned and where the boss is particularly difficult and demanding. But it is the other project members who are also difficult and a waste of time. I get to be more defensive and creative during our meetings. But time is running out as we approach the end of the year. There is still a sliver of a chance the the project will go well. I am glad that the week will soon be over.

No comments: