Thursday, April 23, 2009

New Boss


I am starting to learn about my new boss after working with him for a few days. He is a soft-spoken and kind gentleman with a tough edge. I think he is one of those who people call a good ole boy. I met with some of my neighbors and the guy beside my cubicle is an Indian who used to support the system that will be replaced by the application I am working on. He said that my hands will be full for the next 3 years at least. Looks like the new application lacks a lot of features needed by the customer. So my boss really needs help from everyone that can lend a hand.

I worked on the documentation needed by quality and started on a few tasks that he assigned to me. I think I am adding some value with this work because he is freed from doing some work which he could spend better time doing other things. I think he is more like me, a bit disorganized and doing a lot of things. I am spending a lot of time meeting people and getting to know them. I guess that's part of adapting to the people and local culture. It takes a lot of time and sometimes I feel awkward and that I might say the wrong thing. I think my boss and I had a few awkward moments but I think we are both mature enough to get over it.

He will be on leave next week and I am left minding the store so to speak. I am checking my access to the help desk tools which I need to get me going to support the application. There is still a long way to go before I get up to speed. I think I made some connections with the people I talked with this morning. It's a close community and I am surprised that most people know about my intimate details. I guess my record and history and family circumstances have been discussed around the coffee area. I guess this is what it means about living in a very close knit community.

It's really an entirely different world here and I did not realize how much different it is as compared to what I had imagined. There is no time for distraction because you have to focus on the job and get things done. For example, I was given Internet access but I discovered that it's extremely limited. I don't even have Internet mail access. So I have no time for procrastination and distraction. When I have nothing to do, I think I need to spend it networking or planning my work. I am getting to know more about the way things work here in the South. The images are known from movies and photographs but quite different living it here in actual reality.

No comments: