Friday, December 12, 2008

Recovering From Travel


I feel in a daze after arriving from China. Last night, I attended the Toastmaster meeting and I did not contribute too much. I felt tired but I wanted to attend the last meeting for the year. This morning we began the knowledge transfer for the boss man's data warehouse project. It was a struggle to start because it was a long while ago when I started this project. So I had to look for my old materials and remember what had transpired about 2 years ago. I realized that I had done a lot of work despite my failure to successfully complete the project.

In the afternoon, we had a phone meeting with the contributors from India. We settled a few issues on the scope of work needed to be done. We are in the midst of transition while the project is ongoing. I hope that the road is now clear. I was also answering a lot of emails from the technical head in China. The performance issue keeps on going round and round. But I realized that he does not know how to proceed. Hopefully, we got the message across. I still have to log my time sheet and work on the dashboard report for the meeting next week. A day in a life of a project manager.

I realized that tomorrow's knowledge worker should be someone with a wide ranging mind. Talking to different people in different areas in the globe, about different subjects or projects, learning new processes and things to do. I am reaching my breaking point and it's only the will to continue. Tomorrow's worker should not be bewildered by having a wide range of experience or have a wide range of interest by reading books. Maybe this will help them overcome the bewildering onslaught information. I guess I am feeling this way because I am tired from my trip. I will have a better mind when I get some rest during the weekend.

I have 1 disc left to listen to before completing the 15 disc audio book 'Shalimar the Clown.' Salman Rushdie strikes me as a more modern Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He wrotes more about the relevant issues of the day. But his novels lacks the mark of a classic and timeless work which Marquez or V.S. Naipaul reeks in. There is no doubt that his work is way above average, close to a work of true genius but there is a feeling of triviality or pop culture. His greatness lies in the broadness of his vision, inventiveness and craft. But somehow it lacks the power of Kawabata or Marquez or Naipaul or even Coetzee.

No comments: