Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Old Friends Visit

A dear old friend is here this week for a series of meetings. We worked together years back and he is now high up in the organization. We shared many adventures together when he was posted here in Asia a few years ago. He returned back to head office with bigger, global responsibilities about 2 years ago. It was a pleasure and privilege to have worked with him all over Asia. We had lunch today and shared many stories.

I am glad to have maintained our friendship amidst the office politics that prevails in the local office. I think some of the new bosses around are surprised that we are friends. It is a rare event to have this type of relationship. He has brought a fresh air during the week and he and his team have met with the boss man to plan for the replacement of their ancient system. This will be a big project in the coming years and I wonder if I will be involved with my present reputation.

The boss man's current project is now moving along after getting the outsource company in India. The past failures still rest mainly on my shoulders but I think time will show that the past problems where mainly due to the contributors headed by my old supervisor. But that is all water under the bridge as it still remains to deliver the product. I think there is a better chance to succeed with the technical skills of the India team. I just need to grin and bear it until the project is completed.

All these bad feelings and anxiety have momentarily vanished with my old friend's visit. Talking with him amidst my present difficulties made me feel that his presence has helped shore up my reputation and confidence. After all I am the oldest person around the organization these days with all the staff turnover. I wonder when he can come again though he has asked me to tell if I am around at head office. Another old friend came today to join the series of meeting and the three of us remembered the last time we where together which was in India. This was one of the most difficult projects we ever did and I stayed in New Delhi for about 4 months.

It is always a joy to meet old friends because we will never know if we will ever meet again. These rare meetings revive the spirit and let us remember the old days when we were young and eager, working together and completing projects. It gives some strength to move forward and face the challenges with the boss man.

No comments: