Saturday, February 18, 2023

Office Strategy

It's clear that the objective of the boss lady is getting the team to provide information that she can supply to the management whenever needed. Despite my initial reactions to this selfish motive to look good, one can see that this is the normal way most bosses work. Get on with it. I guess the use of modern tools like Teams does look like it is an innovative way of working. On the other hand, the attempt does not really help the team on the ground in terms of how their work can be simplified and made more efficient.

Motivation determines the character of the person and the objective to look good as the primary goal deprives any real effort to improve the way the group works. I guess that is my job as a team leader. My only fear in this drive to look good is to throw our people under the bus where the boss lady points fingers at the inefficient staff when she really does not provide any leadership. In effect, the main role is to be a messenger,i.e. the mailman as if the purveyor of new information indicates leadership but only being the town crier.

Such silliness requires me to exert myself and be visible because the boss lady will just keep blaming her team if anything goes wrong instead of accepting responsibility. I am guilty of succumbing to such office trivialities but in another way, it is the game and how one plays in the arena of the office. Hence the need to craft some strategy to navigate and excel in the politics and jockeying of position.  Fortunately, I like to plot strategy and think of the long game which is a result of my overthinking and rumination.

Ultimately, I should shift my mental energies away from office politics towards creative writing. My mind is spent in too much rumination and daydreaming when one can channel these thoughts churning activity into writing a novel. Is it too late .? Writers like Ian Fleming or Roal Dahl have strayed into the novelist life late in their careers and such is the plan to do the same. My attempts on having the working environment and tools ready will bear fruition once this shift is completed.


No comments: