Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Back from business trip


I just returned from a trip to Manila, visiting our developer with the business leader. We conducted a series of workshops for the next release of the software even if the first release has not been done yet. Not really a good way to go. Something like rapid prototyping. But it was the only alternative left with the series of delays. The business leader was not happy and he sent out his main concerns to my boss. On the last day of the workshops, we reviewed the concerns and met with the head of the development team. We discussed the action plan and the meeting went well. The coming weeks will be very tight.

On top of this project is the ongoing S project. We met yesterday with the head of the contributors. It was a preparatory meeting for another one scheduled on Thursday. It was actually the first time we have sat together to discuss the details. As usual there was a source of contention with the princess but we managed to keep it civilized. I am glad we involved my former boss who has moved on and is now the boss of the princess. He is very useful in guiding the princess. Of course her views are legitimate and it will take some give and take from both sides. It will be a struggle in the coming weeks especially with my other projects.

I am in a classic bind where I am multitasking between several projects. I am also playing numerous roles in each project which is a bit taxing. For instance, the most urgent task at hand is to finish the solution requirements specification which is a task done by a functional analyst. Now I have to play this role again and still be the project manager. I am concerned also on my other project which need attention in terms of monitoring the deliverables from the developer. I also have to complete another specification once we get the business requirements for the next release.

The advise the business leader gave me when he assessed the situation last week was for me to step up and and start leading. He felt that I have more experience on managing the developers and I should work and guide them directly, spending more time in the developer's premises if needed. I think that was good advise and I need to lead more despite my workload. I attach a mind map on leadership with some good tips.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Feel free to review our teams newly launched on-line collaborative mind mapping tool - www.comapping.com

All the best,

The Comapping Team