Sunday, December 31, 2023

Year End Reflection

Last week of the year was a time of reflection. I did not take any vacation like most people did in the office, instead working from home and taking online courses in sustainability. The course was an eye opener for me, to understand the science of climate change, the impact to biodiversity and the importance of the transition to low carbon lifestyle. The impact to mankind is consequential if  no change is done in our lifetime. Elon Musk is way ahead of us all by planning space travel to Mars; to be a space travelling species using his words.

I reflected on the the stressful events I encountered this year and tried the writing protocol for trauma, writing for at least 15 minutes for 4 days. The act was a relief as I recalled painful events but writing my thoughts brought order and clarity. The change in my job position, new assignments + new people in the organization and new ways of working required a positive mindset in order to adapt and change. Recognition from my department manager during our Christmas party was a welcome vindication that my actions ( and others in the department) were correct.

I deepened my practice and study of meditation and mindfulness, continue to clear out my garage, read on artificial intelligence, took courses on breathing, changed my phone and learned more about my EV. The clutter in my garage, dining room table, working table,etc. made me aware that I may have ADHD but mays also be based on trauma according to a podcast by a de-cluttering expert. Decluttering has been transformative; being aware of my impulsiveness, day-dreaming on possible futures and the impact of such mindset to my work habits.

Last week was also heartwarming as I reconnected with old friends from high school and college, getting best wishes and greeting for my birthday + season's greeting. Group chats created with old schools buddies who were interested in comics - geeks who still love super heroes,  another group chat with drinking buddies and life friends through out the years, never having lost contact; well wishes from old acquaintances at  work and in past organizations. I feel blessed with this outpouring of camaraderie from an older time before the internet.

A close cousin also passed away suddenly which saddened me. Life is indeed precious that one must live the best way one can with the time left. I grieve his loss and remember the good times together with the rest of our clan while growing up. Another close cousin had also passed away last year who was much younger than me. Perhaps this is the reason this past weeks felt more precious, with people reaching out and re-discovering each other, to reflect and possibly lead a more fruitful life.


No comments: