Sunday, November 28, 2021

Mountain Biking

I biked in the nearby Conestee State park with my electric bike. I used a new bike rack attached to my hitch to transport my bike. It was the first time I used the rack; straining to attach the rubber strap, which took a lot of effort that I questioned its design. I need to strengthen my fingers if I will be using the strap for the long haul. It was a pleasure to ride with the pedal-assist mode which relieved the usual effort of biking which becomes more difficult as one grows old. The e-bike brought me back to a younger time when I biked in the hills of Antipolo in my youth.

I had my usual mental doubts at the start but once the rack and bike hang on my car, the doubts disappeared. I always think too much up until the time when the action is needed. Procrastination is the bane of the worry - wort; missing again my pledge to work after getting back from my bike ride, as indolence, Ouzo, and the movie 'My Own Private Idaho' distracted me from my goal. Nevertheless, the day was not wasted as I cleared up some stuff from my garage, bringing empty cartons to the nearby recycling center.

One is delayed, procrastinating, doubtful whenever one succumbs to thinking or allowing the mind to go into its usual groove of thinking about recent events such as the dinner at my friend's house to celebrate Thanksgiving. The usual envy and resentment rise up, perceived slights and one-upmanship when in fact one does not need to compete.  One just needs to enjoy life and focus on your own inner joy such as mountain biking into the hills. Such episodes confirm that I am not comfortable in social situations because of petty conversation and prefer solitary activities.

Freedom from hate and envy and deluded thinking is the secret to happiness as everyone knows. Trying to achieve this nirvana is the trick. As I drove around for the day's activities I listened to John le Carre's book 'The Pigeon Tunnel'. He is a pleasurable writer to read and his attempt at autobiography shows a different side of him, away from the cloak and dagger of his books. One feels that he is not telling the full story and he alludes to the official secrets act that prevents him from doing so. All in all an enjoyable day despite missing the pledge to do some work.

No comments: