Friday, August 13, 2010

Avoiding Frivolity


I changed my mind in buying the iPad. It looks more and more like a frivolous purchase after looking at the specs. It so limited compared to what is sold out there. So I decided to buy a Lenovo Ideapad; at the same price as a low end iPad. The Lenovo Ideapad is a so-called net book which is a low-end lap top. It is much smaller and cost less. The difference is that this model has a multi-point touch screen. So I had a formula in mind where:

Net book + Touch screen =  iPad

Yesterday I had already settled on the iPad after feeling this distaste for laptops which I thought the Ideapad was until I realized it was not a laptop but a net book. It was a distinction I missed which swayed me towards Apple. Another factor was the sales promotion from Lenovo which offered a $ 200 discount on their model with 2 GB memory plus Windows 7 Home Premium.


The best feature of the iPad is the lightness and slimness of the design, state of the art touch screen and operating system. But after that, the Lenovo is a much superior machine in all its features. For example, 250 GB hard drive, USB slots, data reader, connectivity via Bluetooth, connectivity to external monitors and webcam. So continuing to purchase an iPad makes no sense except to satisfy a lustful urge artificially created with clever marketing. It’s a good product but does not provide value for money. Another factor that was driving me towards Apple was my misguided dream to be an Apple developer and earn bug bucks. Stories abound of people becoming overnight millionaires by developing apps for the iPhone, iPad and the iPod. I don’t think it’s a realistic goal considering I have not programmed in any Apple or Macintosh systems before.


I guess I was in ‘hitting the lottery’ mode again. It’s a feeling like buying a lottery ticket in the hopes of striking big. It does not mean that being an overnight millionaire Apple developer is not possible but one need to be realistic of one’s talents. Perhaps the hype on millionaire programmers is just created by Apple to sell more boxes or one must really be an Apple nerd way back in his teens to get the so-called 10,000 hours of practice to be an expert. Reading Malcolm Gladwell’s book ‘Outliers’ takes out the myth of the lone successful genius. Using well known examples of people like Bill Gates, Bill Joy and the Beatles, the book shows that society’s perception of the successful entrepreneur is not realistic. In fact, success is due to 10,000 hours of diligent practice or experience and family support. With this in mind, my chances of being a millionaire Apple developer are slim.


The only experience where I can possibly claim to have about 10,000 hours of effort is that of being a writer. But being a writer does not mean having only writing experience but I think covers the following:

a.) reading (about 2400 hrs),
b.) writing (about 2500 hrs),
c.) interesting life experiences + self reflection (about 2100 hrs)
d.) creative writing craft skills

With this formula, I have about 7000 hours of so-called ‘writer’ experience. The only thing left is developing the remaining 3000 hours of ‘craft’ skills to achieve expertise. Being without a mentor or without professional writing experiences (as a journalist, for example) leaves attending creative writing seminars as the only solution left or through self-study via readings in blogs or journals in the Internet. I think I now have a pretty fair idea of the craft especially after reading Ellen Gilchrist’s book. So I guess I have a better chance of being a successful writer than being a successful Apple programmer.


Now back to technology. I guess laptops and net books are today’s tools for writers. By linking the tasks to the hardware and soft ware tools, I have a gizmo strategy:

...TASK........................................HARDWARE..........SOFTWARE
1. Write rough draft......................Laptop/Net book......LiveJournal/Google app
2. Editing......................................Net book..................LiveJournal/Google app
3. Research..................................Net book..................websites
4. Subsequent & final drafts........Laptop.....................MS Word
5. Brainstorming & Planning........Laptop / Net book...Mind Manager
.....................................................Voice Recorder.......Novel Writer/YWrite
....................................................................................Dragon Natural Speak

Of course pen, paper or a typewriter would do for some writers. But I am trying to be more efficient by using the latest technology. Hopefully this can help supplement the lack of professional experience or attending creative writing courses. But blogging has given one a certain expertise and perhaps the future is self-publishing with readers downloading content into their e-readers. I guess I have a step up in this direction if the future does move here. With all these software and hardware accoutrements, I feel that I am fully ready to earn the big bucks. Now all I need is discipline, talent and focus. If only I won’t be distracted by the technology.

No comments: